The Canada Recovery Benefit ended on October 23 leaving more than a million workers with nothing.
COVID isn't over, restrictions are still in place and COVID is still at dangerously high levels in some places.
Eliminating CRB will not address the real cause of the labour shortage which is caused by bottlenecks and an exodus of workers from jobs with poverty wages, unsafe working conditions, and unstable hours.
We are joining forces with Campaign 2000; the Good Jobs for All coalition; UNIFOR; and the Toronto Area Council of the United Steelworkers, for a pan-Canadian Phone ZAP to call on our federal representatives to bring back CRB income supports and to fix Employment Insurance for good.
Fixing Employment Insurance means:
- Restoring the $500 floor for weekly benefits;
- Reducing the required insurable hours to 12 weeks of work or 360 hours;
- Making all EI benefits available for at least a year;
- Eliminating unfair rules that punish workers for leaving exploitative work;
- Ensuring access for migrant workers; and
- Ending misclassification so gig workers can access EI and other entitlements.
It's not too late for Justin Trudeau and Chrystia Freeland to do the right thing and restore CRB.