Pan-Canadian Phone Zap to Extend CRB and Fix EI!
On Wed. December 8, we will be hosting 2 emergency phone actions (to receive the Zoom link please RSVP below):
- 11:30 am to 12:15 pm EST (8:30 am to 9:15 am PST and 12:30 pm to 1:15 pm AST)
- 6:00 pm to 6:45 pm EST (3:00 pm to 3:45 pm PST and 7:00 to 7:45 pm AST)
It's not too late for Justin Trudeau and Chrystia Freeland to do the right thing and restore CRB. But with only days left before parliament recesses, we need to pull out all the stops to let our federal representatives know we expect them to do the right thing and bring back CRB and fix EI for good!
As you know, the Canada Recovery Benefit ended on October 23 leaving almost a million workers with nothing.COVID isn't over, capacity restrictions are still in place, bottlenecks and reduced inventory are still being worked out, and this instability has meant many workers are still without work or are still experiencing a significant loss of income.
Eliminating CRB has not addressed the real cause of the labour shortage which is caused by bottlenecks in the labour market and an exodus of workers from jobs with poverty wages, unsafe working conditions, and unstable hours.
Join us as we call on our federal representatives to bring back CRB and fix Employment Insurance for good! It's not too late for Justin Trudeau, Carla Qualtrough, and Chrystia Freeland to do the right thing.
Fixing Employment Insurance means:
- Restoring CRB until the pandemic is over and reinstating the $500 floor for weekly CRB benefits and for EI;
- Reducing the required insurable hours to 12 weeks of work or 360 hours;
- Making all EI benefits available for at least a year;
- Eliminating unfair rules that punish workers for leaving exploitative work;
- Ensuring access for migrant workers; and
- Ending misclassification so gig workers can access EI and other entitlements.